Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What a Day!

Here is a glimpse of why I titled my blog "Blessed Chaos." I LOVE my boys, but this is the kind of craziness that can ensue on a seemingly typical day . . .

4:10am - Max wakes up (not atypical, but usually drinks a 4oz. bottle and goes right back to sleep for another 2-3 hours)
4:30am - put Max back in his crib and he starts crying
4:40am - notice he's a little warm so I give him tylenol (I might add that he's been fussy and not eating well the past 2 days and had a slight fever of 99.5 before bed as well for which I gave him tylenol)
5:10am - Max is finally back asleep
6am - Max wakes up for the day
6:15am - Kyle wakes up for the day (usually he sleeps till at least 7) in a VERY cranky mood
7am - Jason leaves for work and Kyle spends the next 20 minutes crying that he'll miss Daddy at work
7:30am - I attempt to feed Max breakfast and he screams.
8:15am-10:15am - Max takes a nap and Kyle and I play and pack for our anticipated trip to his friend Jasper's house where he will see all his playgroup friends . . .
10:15am - Max wakes up and is burning up! I take his temperature and it's 102!!! It's his first fever so I'm a bit worried.
10:30am - I call Jason at work to tell him what's going on and Kyle asks to speak to him. The first thing he says is "Daddy, I'm a little frustrated that Max has a fever. I really wanted to go to Jasper's house."
10:35am - I call the doctor and they ask me to bring him in at 1:30pm today.
11:15am - I make a run to McDonald's for lunch in an attempt to cheer Kyle up and we bring it back and have an indoor picnic for lunch - Kyle loves it! Max starts getting fussy on the way home so in an attempt to cheer him up Kyle starts "roaring" like a lion and Max laughs the whole way home. It's so cute to see the bond they're already developing.
12:15pm - Max takes another nap
12:45pm - Max wakes up quite fussy
1:15pm - We leave for the doctor's office.
1:30pm - We wait for about 15 minutes and are seen. When the doctor comes in she says hi to Kyle and he immediately decides she is his new best friend and decides to tell him his life story including all about his trip to see Thomas (he was wearing his new t-shirt that he got while we were there).
1:50pm - Max is examined and she thinks it could be one of several things probably viral, but due to the poor eating/drinking and high fever she wants to run a few tests to rule out anything that may require an antibiotic. Max has to give a urine sample so she brings in the catheter. Max did NOT like this one bit. Then they tell me to take the sample and paperwork and drop it off at LabCorp to get his blood drawn. Kyle was fabulous in the doctor's office and got to choose a dinosaur on the way out for being so good! He was ready to go home, but when I told him we had to do one more thing he started more whining. By this point he was very tired and definitely could have used a nap had we been home, but we must keep going . . .
2:40pm - We arrive at LabCorp where we wait for about 40 minutes. Kyle made a friend (a little girl that looked to be about 8) and they talked about dinosaurs for the first 10 minutes. Then she had to leave and Kyle kept saying "I want to go home and I really wanted to go to Jasper's house and I miss Daddy from work" over and over and over again. He also somehow managed to get his head stuck in the arm of the chair he was sitting in. And Max spend most of the time rubbing his eyes and crying because he was tired again.
3:20pm - Max is finally called and taken back to the room. He sits in my lap and they strap the band around his arm VERY tightly to find his vein. This should be only for a short time, but the lab guy was very disorganized and poor Max was screaming the whole time. Finally his blood is drawn and he screams during that as well. At this point Kyle starts crying because he doesn't want Max to have a hole in his arm (from the needle). Kyle had his blood draw a few months ago and still talks about that hole they put in his arm. Finally both boys calm down and we get ready to leave but then they ask me for the urine sample. I told them that I handed it to the lady at the front desk with my paperwork. They spend another 5 minutes looking for it because they can't find it. Apparently it was under a pile of papers behind the desk . . .
3:40 - We head home.
4:00 - I put Max down for a nap.
4:05 - I go to feed Peanut because he's meowing at me and I realize I never fed him lunch. When I get to his bowl I find that it and the surrounding floor has been overrun by ants. So I spend 10 minutes cleaning that up. Just as I finish . . .
4:20 - I hear a thud and then Kyle starts crying. He fell off the couch and hit his nose/forehead on the floor. When I asked him what happened he said "I was being too wild."
4:25 - I'm consoling Kyle and Max wakes up again VERY cranky.
4:30 - Max finally drinks almost all of a 6oz. bottle!
4:45 - Jason comes home - yay!
7:00 - Give Max tylenol and put him to bed.
7:30 - Kyle goes to bed. (He's been coughing a lot this evening with a bit of a runny nose)

We still haven't eaten dinner ourselves so it's in the oven and hopefully we'll eat by 8 or 8:30pm.

Not quite the day we had planned, but we still had some sweet, fun moments despite the craziness!

It was an exhausting day, but we still managed to do a few fun things like paint with watercolors, have an indoor picnic, play with Geotrax and Thomas metal trains, and play bowling with cups!

Hopefully tomorrow will be less eventful and everyone will be feeling better and well rested!

3 comments:

liz said...

Oy! And during your first break you sat down and typed all that? We really missed you guys today! I hope tomorrow is a much briefer list of items, and I hope we get to see you some time soon!

Tammy said...

Thanks! I just needed to get it all out! :)

Beth said...

Ay yi yi! I hope things have improved! Alexander missed Kyle and today he said we should go see you guys.